Zihuatanejo

"You remember the name of the town, don't you?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

I need a new gig

I can't really do anything about this until the living situation is settled for obvious financial reasons, but its got to happen soon. Without going into details; I stopped caring about my job 13 months ago. I've got two problems. The first is my education does not match my experience. I have a Bachelor's degree in Marketing and I finished my MBA program in April. Unfortunately, I've spent the last 5 years in inside sales. I don't have the required experience for jobs that are available to MBAs. Yet I am considered over qualified for jobs that match my experience .

Second, I'm not sure what I want to do. I am burned out on sales. I'm not a born salesman. I take pride in being knowledgeable and efficient but I lack the killer instinct. Money is not my top priority and I take no inherent joy in closing people. Two comments made by friends of mine recently illustrated to me why some people are suited for sales and why I am not one of them.

"When somebody disagrees with me I take it as a challenge. I need to make them see things my way." and "I'm going to make a ton of money someday; I just don't know how yet."

I feel like I need to go in a whole new direction. I'm within spittin distance of 30 years old and I can't afford to try something new and decide 3 years down the road that it wasn't the right direction.

1 Comments:

Blogger ambs77 said...

I hear you on all of that. The older we get, the more risk involved with making career choices.

You'll find something great. Just keep looking.

9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home