Zihuatanejo

"You remember the name of the town, don't you?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Reality bites

I have now seen two full episodes of American Idol. I am pretty sure that as a result I am less of a man. I often choose not to watch certain shows on purpose. It makes me feel superior to other people I suppose. When everybody loses their shit about who got voted off on last night's episode of the latest Search for America's next top singer/actor/comedian/rap groupie I just say, "I've never seen it." Then I bask in their disbelief.

I stopped watching The Bachelor series after Joe Millionaire because I felt I was in danger of losing all respect for women. I've never seen an episode of Survivor, never watched Amazing Race, never seen anybody compete in The Gauntlet, and until this week I'd never watched American idol.

Quick aside: Not all of it is awful. (Simmons rip off coming) There is comedy, there is high comedy, and then there is a naked and wasted Vern Troyer standing on his lil' rascal peeing on the wall on Surreal Life. Will never be topped. They should have just retired the genre after that.

Skins watches it and I was in the livingroom messing around on the computer. I couldn't help it. Like the time I was forced against my will to sit through multiple episodes of Laguna Beach. While I don't plan on making it a regular viewing habit there was one highlight for me. When Randy Jackson asks the obviously gay kid from the town of 300, "What makes you different?" followed by Simon cutting the kid off chuckling, "Well, isn't it obvious?" good stuff.

I think I will go back to watching quality high brow programing like The Office and Family Guy.

2 Comments:

Blogger ambs77 said...

Bite your tongue, bite your tongue!

I live for reality tv. It's entertaining.

I can hardly contain myself each week as I wait, in extreme anticipation, for the next episode of The Bachelor.

12:50 PM  
Blogger Pudge said...

you're right. I enjoyed Laguna. Like I enjoy rinsing my contacts with tabasco sauce before I put them in.
Good food and good company though; enjoyable evening.

Ambs77, I could write an entire post on the problems I have with The Bachelor, but if the appeal is purely for the eye candy then I can respect that. :-)

6:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home