Zihuatanejo

"You remember the name of the town, don't you?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Valentine's Day

As I have mentioned before I have a lot of friends who are married or engaged. It is not uncommon to hear some of these guys complain about Valentine’s Day. They bemoan the fact that it’s over-commercialized. They theorize that it’s a giant scam concocted by the flower, chocolate, and stuffed animal cartels to move more merchandise. They explain, “I love ____ all year long. I shouldn’t have to spend a bunch of money on February 14th just because those fuckers at FTD need to meet their quotas!”

I can’t honestly say that their arguments are completely without merit. It is over-commercialized. Those little candies with the two word messages taste like shit. My personal favorites are the commercials by the diamond folk that are openly insulting to men. They perpetuate the men as big dumb animals stereotype. I sometimes wish they would just remove the thin veil and put out this ad:

Sultry woman’s voice: “Hey guys, you’ve been a massive disappointment to your woman all year long. It’s a wonder she’s still with you. So, this Valentine’s Day stop being such a cheap bastard. Buy her a diamond tennis bracelet from Jared.”

All that having been said, do it anyway. Quit the complaining and do it right. No matter what you think; you don’t tell her enough. Valentine’s Day is about letting your beloved know how much she means to you. Let her know she is appreciated. A personal touch is best. It lets her know that you were paying attention when she assumed you were not. So, cook her favorite meal, or plan a trip, or rub her feet, whatever. The important thing is to stop concentrating on the negative aspects of Valentine’s Day and put the focus where it belongs. On her.

3 Comments:

Blogger Luchy72 said...

a) fruck that noise. The simple truth is that if you think you have to splurge today, you probably do, 'cuz you're not sure if you've been taking care of business. If you know that you've been loving your woman properly, neither of you even notice v-day.

b) Conversation hearts are delicious. I buy bags and bags to feast on all year...especially the "tart" version. I've got a weakness for all products NECCO.

8:33 AM  
Blogger Pudge said...

Trust me, she notices. And she's telling her friends what an insensitive clod you are.

8:54 AM  
Blogger SLC said...

Just ran across your blog. You don't know me, but I just wanted to say (about your Valentine's Day thoughts), WELL PUT! I couldn't agree more.

9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home