Zihuatanejo

"You remember the name of the town, don't you?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

Friday, March 03, 2006

Next Chapter

I informed by boss today that I am taking next week off as a self imposed "Decision making leave". This basically means that I'm using my remaining vacation time to focus completely on finding another job. I have had a couple opportunities float by recently but I find myself having no time to fill out applications, write cover letters, or forge letters of recommendation. I can't do these things at work because I'm too closely micromanaged.

Including weekends I'll have 9 days away. As I see it I have two challenges. First, to stay focused. This is not a vacation. I need to work hard to find something and get in front of a few people. I can't afford to sleep in or watch movies. Its doubley tough because its baseball season. Spring training has started, I have tickets to a few World Baseball Classic games next week, and ASU has a homestand against Auburn this weekend. It would be easy for me to spend an entire week in flip flops sitting in the sun, drinking beer, and watching games. In fact, toss in an attractive woman with an appreciation for the game and I can't think of anything better.
Second, I'm probably going to apply for every job in the western United States that is even remotely appealing. I need a plan. I still haven't gotten over that fear of chosing the wrong path but I can't stay in my present situation. It's affecting me as a person at this point.

What I didn't tell my boss is that when I return it will be with my letter of resignation in hand; whether I have a job lined up or not. My savings account has more money in it than my yearly salary, so I'll be able to pay the rent and eat. Hopefully I won't be unemployed for long.

This is me kicking myself in the ass. Its time to go. My last three network passwords (9 months!) were :
Ushouldleave.
Seriouslygo!
and Getthefout!

I could end up giving two weeks notice upon my return so this might not be my last day, but it feels like it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Luchy72 said...

DAMMIT! I wrote a really long, well thought out post, but Blogger gave me an error message and it’s gone, of course.

Quick summary:

Absolutely, positively do NOT try and find a job on your vacation. Party like Vince Neil circa ’88, hand ‘em your resignation when you get back, then run out the clock not giving a shit. When you’re officially unemployed and living off your own dollar, then get hunting.

When I look back at life, there were a lot of opportunities (like spring break in Cancun, or backpacking across Europe after graduation) that I passed on because I thought I was doing the “responsible” thing by getting a head start on work. Today, I have 30 years of work left in front of me, but no opportunities to do tequila shots off some shitfaced 19-year-old’s belly.

I personally guarantee that you will never say “remember when I took that awesome week off and spent it scouring the papers and re-writing my resume?” but you might say “remember when I decided to quit my job, so I spent a week watching baseball and drinking beer in flip-flops and getting PAID for it?”

10:59 AM  
Blogger ambs77 said...

I agree with 49Words. Start the job search AFTER your vacation.
I know what you've been through and YOU DESERVE IT!
Go find yourself a woman and head for the bleachers...

I only wish it were warm enough here to be in flip flops. Oh how I MISS flip flop weather. :-(

11:28 AM  
Blogger Pudge said...

You guys are not helping! I am too susceptible (sp?) to this kind of crazy talk.

12:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home