Zihuatanejo

"You remember the name of the town, don't you?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

Thursday, February 16, 2006

It ain't always good to be the King.

One of the young ladies in my office complained to another about her boyfriend’s poor showing on Valentine’s Day. The young man’s transgression was so egregious that the friend could not help but recount the tale in horror to another employee and that employee in turn told another and... well, you know how this works.
The end result is that there are now no less than a dozen people openly campaigning for this guy to be dismissed from his boyfriend duties and denied any and all benefits.

For the record, I am one of the people calling for his dismissal. On some level I feel sorry for the guy. All these people that he has never met are telling his girlfriend, in no uncertain terms, that she should kick his sorry ass to the curb. He most likely has no idea that this is happening. By all accounts he is a “great guy” and “nice” and “sweet”. As soon as I heard him described this way I knew he had no chance, but that’s a whole post in itself. The idea that he may actually be in love with my colleague and have no idea that his relationship is essentially over is disturbing to me as is the delight that some people have in publicly mocking the situation. It must be embarrassing for her to hear everybody commenting on her love life.

The less compassionate side of me thinks that if you take your woman to “The BK Lounge” on Valentine’s Day you deserve the worst that life has to offer. This guy took his girlfriend to Burger King on Valentines Day. After his request to dine in the restaurant was rebuffed he had the stones to ask for $5 because he was short of funds until pay Friday. Stick a spork in him. He’s done.

Upon hearing this horrific tale one of the girls in the office bought the victim a bouquet of flowers out of pity. One insensitive prick (me) repeatedly referred to the boyfriend as “The King” and suggested that she make her boyfriend wear a cardboard Burger King crown in public.

So, take this as a cautionary tale guys. My Valentine’s Day post was right on the money. If you screw up Valentine’s Day she will tell other people how you screwed up. Those people don’t care what you did or didn’t do the other 364 days of the year. They will destroy you and you’ll never even know its happening.

3 Comments:

Blogger ambs77 said...

i agree to a point. i think too much pressure is put on guys for vday. life is stressful enough to have to also worry about making a production in the middle of a work week.

of course it's an added bonus if they go all out, but i'm always saying i'd rather have someone do something for me because they really want to vs. them feeling like that HAVE to or SHOULD.

i'm guessing i know who your coworker is. that's too bad. but then again, it's not world hunger or anything, right?

6:42 AM  
Blogger Pudge said...

I never said it had to be a big production. In fact, I'm not sure you wouldn't enjoy a nice McDonald's double cheeseburger on Vday. ;-)
My point is that its personal. If she likes money, spend it. If she likes staying in and watching old movies, head to blockbuster.
I just don't want to hear the complaining. because whatever you do its better than the alternative.

8:52 AM  
Blogger ambs77 said...

mmm. i love mcD's double cheeseburgers. i could go for one about RIGHT now.

but wait, there's no mcD's in my hometown. it would be a 20 min drive to the nearest. *sigh* good for my thighs i guess!

4:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home