Zihuatanejo

"You remember the name of the town, don't you?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

To sell or not to sell

I had an interview this morning with the provider of the "leading content delivery network for Internet distribution of video, music, games, and downloads. Their advanced content delivery network provides the world's top media companies high-performance, cost-effective delivery of media content and software via the Internet." They're the company that worked with CBS Sportsline to show live webcasts of the NCAA tournament. This small sized company is based in Tempe and is hiring a couple of account executives.

I arrived nearly 20 minutes late due to bad directions and the fact that there is no signage on the outside of the building. I immediately noticed that I was the only one wearing a suit and tie. Everybody else was wearing jeans, t-shirts, and flip flops. The first guy I met with was asking me about my previous jobs. I don't love this part of the process. I have to explain getting laid off from my first job and why I want to leave my present job without sounding bitter or angry. The next two guys I met with talked with me about their indsutry, the company, and the job duties. I was able to ask 5 or 6 good questions and I thought everything went well. The VP of Sales discussed the compensation package with me (30k base, 12-15% commissions on monthly revenues with no cap, 12 months of residuals on new contracts, monthly and yearly bonuses ranging from $500 to $5000.) , said he expected to hear good things about me from the other two men when they met to discuss me later, and asked about my availability. I took all these things as good signs. I should hear something tomorrow. I was told they move fast.

I was struck by how laid back everybody was. I was rockin' out on my way to the interview trying to get my energy up and summon my inner Vince Vaughn. It wasn't necessary. They talked like sales people throwing out words like competitive and aggressive but everybody was calm and soft spoken. It didn't sound like a call center either. There weren't any phones ringing or incessant chatter.

I told them I wanted to be a part of their organization and I expect they'll offer me the job. I said I would need to give two weeks notice not mentioning that I did that two weeks ago. I'm torn. It's sales. I don't love sales, but I could realistically make 15k more a year. That's hard to walk away from. I can't put the time and energy into being succesful at this and continue to look around for other opportunities. It just won't work. I've got some thinking to do, so I'm going to go play softball.

2 Comments:

Blogger ambs77 said...

So what happened?

Rule #4 in blogging: Don't leave your audience hanging for too long. :-P

1:24 PM  
Blogger Pudge said...

Sorry. We had to forfeit. :-)

7:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home