Zihuatanejo

"You remember the name of the town, don't you?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

Monday, August 14, 2006

I Heart Rooster's

I have mentioned to my friends on several occasions that I have come to frequent a small country bar in east Mesa. Thursday nights are $0.05 beer night at Rooster's Country. In the words of the immortal Toby Kieth, "I love this bar". Rooster's is a classic dive honky-tonk. I want to give those of you that have never been the Rooster's experience.

The first positive is that it is located in east Mesa not far from my apartment. I can leave after watching Always Sunny at 11:00pm and still get in plenty of fun before close.

Editor's note: Always Sunny is the best new show on TV; Outstanding.

Upon arrival you will notice two things. First, the parking lot is full. It's always full. Forget about it and park across the street at the No Tell Motel. Second, more often than not there are a few Sheriff's deputies in the parking lot. Somebody may be in the process of being thrown out. This is always entertaining.

Pay the $5 cover and proceed directly through the bar to the back patio. This is where the kegs are located. Miller and Miller Light for $0.05 a cup or $5 for a tray (about 12 cups). Now get back inside because that’s where the action is.

The whole bar is probably 1500 square feet. It features, from back to front, three quarter pool tables, a bar, a dance floor, and a stage. It’s glorious. The air is filled with smoke and the floor is sticky. There are neon beer signs on the walls and NASCAR bunting hanging from the ceiling. The seating is minimal and several tables in the back, well let’s just say you don’t want to ask those guys if they’re using their extra chair.

As for the clientele, there are bikers. There are cowboys. There are a lot of tattoos, concert t-shirts, and camouflage baseball caps. What you won’t find are any waxed chest, striped shirt wearing douche’ bags or Prada bag toting, stelleto wearing, social climbing bitches sporting the what made you think it was ok to talk to me…seriously, is that a fossil watch? Get the fuck outta here look.

I dig the vibe. Everybody’s talking, laughing, dancing, and generally having a good time. You can strike up a conversation or ask a girl to dance with no drink purchase required. I just like it more than the sexual showdown at high noon vibe that Scottsdale has where everybody sits a table with their three friends and looks at the other tables of four wondering if she’s going to send a signal or if he’s going to come over.

Editor’s note : This place also seems to me to be a unique blend of a place that the high school kids of Apache Junction can hang out, a full on cougar den, and everything in between. So, there’s something for everyone.

There is live music on Thursdays and Fridays. The house band is really good. A typical set will include covers of Tim McGraw, Willie Nelson, Lynard Skynard, and AC/DC. I was told that they’ve been in Nashville the past month working on a record. I was assured they were scheduled back this Thursday. And so am I.

PS. Anybody notice that I started out talking about a bar I like and out of nowhere it morphs into a scathing social commentary? What’s that about?

Rooster's Country
3731 E. Main St.
Mesa, 85205

2 Comments:

Blogger Alli Friedson said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:24 PM  
Blogger Doc Love said...

Dude!!! Sounds like the Mid West!!

I love that shit!

9:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home